If interested in any of the publications or links on this webpage, please contact RIKILLC by emailing RFiene@.
The following brief document and powerpoint slides present the latest information in summary format on the Early Childhood Program Quality Improvement/Indicator Model and the Differential Monitoring Logic Model and Algorithm (ECPQIM/DMLMA(2ECPQIML)) (#1/2/5/9):
- ECPQIM/DMLMA Brief Collection of Readings: (RJF1A). This document contains the original 2013 paper and the updated 2015 paper describing ECPQIM/DMLMA along with examples of reports and other supporting papers for the model. (#1/2)
- ECPQIM Listing of Publications by Content Area: (ECPQIM PUBLICATIONS) (#1/2)
- ECPQIM/DMLMA Powerpoint Presentation with Notations: (PPT135+ NARA-RIKIN). This powerpoint contains an overview to the ECPQIM/DMLMA model. Here is the presentation from YouTube. (#1/2)
- This graphic (Early Childhood Program Quality Improvement/Indicator Model (ECPQI2M4) & Differential Monitoring Logic Model and Algorithm (DMLMA) Update) summarizes the latest research on ECPQIM/DMLMA (Fiene, 2015a). (#1/2)
- This graphic (Relationship of Comprehensive Reviews (CR) to Key Indicator (KI) or Risk Assessment (RA) Rule Non-Compliance) depicts the relationship amongst comprehensive instruments and key indicators & risk assessment tools (Fiene, 2015b). (#1/2)
- And here is a Seminar Presentation (The Intersection of Translational Research and Implementation Science: An Early Childhood Predictive Analytic Model (ECPQIM4)(Abstract)(Video of the Presentation) I did in 2015 at the Prevention Research Center, Penn State University describing ECPQIM/DMLMA (Fiene, 2015c). (#1/2) In 2017, NARA – National Association for Regulatory Administration hosted a webinar in which I presented the dominant Regulatory Compliance Monitoring Paradigms (Edna Bennett Pierce Prevention Research Center Annoucement). This presentation builds upon and extends the PRC Seminar presentation.
- Powerpoint presentation done as a NARA Webinar (Key Indicators: Regulatory Compliance Monitoring Paradigms)(Regulatory Compliance Monitoring Paradigms Webinar Slides).
- One of the original papers (The Instrument Based Program Monitoring Information System and Indicator Checklist for Child Care) describing ECPQIM, differential monitoring, licensing key indicators and the risk assessment methodologies. (#2)
There are two national initiatives which demonstrate specific outcomes of the ECPQIM/DMLMA approach: Caring for Our Children Basics and Head Start Key Indicators. The following national publications (OHS, OCC, ACF, ASPE), powerpoint presentations, and webinars provide information about these programs/initiatives based upon differential monitoring, risk assessment and key indicator methodologies.
- Caring for Our Children Basics
- Caring for Our Children Basics Alignment Tool
- Development of the Head Start Key Indicator-C Tool
- Overview of Head Start Key Indicator-C Tool
- Aligned Monitoring System
- OHS Grantee Webcast: Overview of Head Start Monitoring
- Head Start Key Indicator Screener
- Office of Head Start HSKI-C Monitoring Protocol
- Head Start Key Indicator-C (HSKI-C) Review Handbook
- ASPE Monitoring of ECE Programs White Paper
- ASPE Report of 13 Key Indicators of Child Care Quality
- OCC Licensing Brief on Monitoring Strategies for Determining Compliance
- OCC/BUILD/NECQAC/NARA 2017 Efficient and Effective Monitoring in Licensing
- ACF ECD 2015 Accomplishments (CFOCB & HSKI-C Differential Monitoring)
Here is an article I wrote for Child Care Information Exchange about 20 years ago which might get a bit more traction today then it did back in the 1990’s when not as many quality funds were available to states. I would love to see this idea pilot tested in a state or two. I think the “trilemma” still exists today as it did 20 years ago, so let’s think outside the box and see if creative public policies can have some impact on this continuing problem. Here is a pdf of that article I wrote: Searching for a Solution to the Child Care Trilemma. The ideas in this article combine several components/elements that I have advocated for from my ECPQIM Paradigm (Fiene, 1971, 1985, 2013, 2015).
These are a series of ECE Quality Studies completed in Pennsylvania from 1996 – 2011 which demonstrate the impact that public policies can have on overall quality of programs:
- The 1996 Study – Professional Development, Training System.
- The 2002 Study – All Early Childhood Settings, Head Start, Preschool, etc.
- The 2006 Study – Keystone Stars – PA Quality Rating & Improvement System.
- The 2011 Study – Subsidy System, TEACH, Keystone Stars.
More detailed evaluations of quality locally in Pennsylvania, family child care, child care and Head Start.
- Family Child Care Quality in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Head Start & Child Care Quality Comparisons
- Local Pennsylvania Quality
Here are a QRIS ToolKit and Compendium of Measures for use within ECE/QRIS systems:
Here is the article and comprehensive data base for the Early Childhood Program Quality Improvement and Indicator Model (ECPQIM) I have been suggesting to use as a systems approach for monitoring and evaluating early care and education programs.
- ECPQIM – Early Childhood Program Quality Improvement and Indicator Model Article
- ECPQIM – Early Childhood Program Quality Improvement and Indicator Model Data Base
These reports give examples of professional development, training system evaluations as well as particular approaches (mentoring, coaching), and the Institute (CAECTI) responsible for developing and completing them:
- Mind in the Making Learning Modules Evaluation
- Evaluation of the Pennsylvania MAPS Project
- Internet Evaluation – Mastering Course Content & Learner Satisfaction in ECE
- Infant Toddler Caregiver Mentoring Program Evaluation
- Infant Toddler Caregiver Mentoring Program Manual
- Capital Area Health & Human Development Institute Report
- CAHHDI 2006 Report
- PRC Five-Year Report
- PRC Ten Year Report
- PRC/CAECTI ECE Intervention Strategies
- Local Pennsylvania Mentoring Evaluation
- Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale Training
- ASPE/LITES Compelling Models
- QRIS and Coaching Quality Improvement
- ECELS ITQIP Child Care Health Consultants Mentoring/Coaching MCHB Research Project Reports
- ECELS Draft Report
- ECELS ITQIP Letter To Grant Supporters
- ECELS ITQIP Summary
- Journal of Pediatric Health Care article
- Handbook of Early Childhood Education
Here is space for manuscripts I am working on with others and will take a bit of time before they are published:
- 1Cognitive Mapping Manuscript10
- NARA Presentation SS – RF
- Creating A Reliable And Viable Approach For Child Presentation April 2018a
- ECPQIM – Lewin – RIKI – Arizona Proposal
- FSLA-VIBE Research Design Proposal
- NARA-RIKI NYC-NYS Proposal
- HMC Phase II Knowl Att
- Practicing Situational Licensing in Adult Care Settings
- BKC Pre-Test Report
- British Columbia Key Indicators
- Validation Methodlogy_Final_2_SS
- IRR Data Methodology_SS_7-10-18
- 1SLIDES PPT KIS INTRO NARA SEMINAR
- Cognitive Mapping
- WA Stepping_Stones_StandardS_Validation_FINAL
- WASHINGTON Standards Validation Analysis_SS7-16
- 4OREGON2 2013
- Cognitive Mapping Manuscript12a
- 1WA RA
- Cognitive Mapping Manuscript First Draft
- TRC Models1
Manuscripts in press:
For additional information regarding ECPQIM/DMLMA with examples, please see the following: ECPQIM-DMLMA Examples